CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, April 4, 2009

I am TERRIBLE TERRIBLE mother!!!

This face may look sweet and innocent... and she can be, BUT this girl is wild and crazy, quick as can be and keeps me barley on the brink of sanity most of the time!!
My awesome friend Nicolle came to Vegas for the week and she stayed at my house for a couple of days!! While Elliott was at preschool yesterday we were trying to decide what to do. We decided we would wait for Elliott to come home and then we would go do something fun! In the meantime I needed to go to target to pick up a prescription. Nicolle is from a TINY town in Colorado and doesn't get to Target very often so she was excited! I went to the pharmacy and the tech pulled out my prescription and opened the bottle and showed me the pills and asked me if they were what I normally take, I said yes and she put the lid on them and handed them to me and I left. We walked from the pharmacy to the children's clothes area (seriously like 1 minute!!) and Nicolle looks at Rya and says, "oh no Rya, what are you doing?!) she had somehow taken the childproof lid off the pills and EATEN half the bottle!! WE looked all over the floor to see if she had just dropped them and then we counted to see how many were missing, there were 16 left out of the 30 in the bottle! I swept her mouth and got out what I could but they were pretty much eaten by then! These are my thyroid pills that I only take once a day and she had taken 14 in one day and weighs like a million pounds less than me! So I told Nicolle we needed to go back and ask the pharmacist what we needed to do. She looked up all kinds of things and said a baby her size would be prescribed AT MOST half the dosage of one pill, so she ate like 30 times what she should have IF she was prescribed them!! HELLO! So she said stick my finger down her throat and make her throw up and then call my doctor.
Nicolle and I got in the car and headed to the instacare down the road. I was there like 20 minutes and they had not even called me to see why I was there! I was pacing all over and starting to freak out! The paper they give you with the prescription says over dose can cause all kinds of things.. including seizures! While we were waiting Nicolle called poison control and the girl laughed and said it was no big deal and we just needed to give her a drink of water to help dilute it and she would be fine, so we left the instacare. I was feeling pretty uncomfortable with that answer so I called my doctors office when we got home and talked to a nurse. She told me it was defintely and emergency and there was not much they could do in the office so I needed to get her to an ER. GREAT!! Luckily I was on the phone with them when my great friend Jackie dropped off Elliott from school, she offered to take Elliott so I wouldn't have to worry about her too! HUGE HUGE HELP!! Thanks Jackie!!!
So we get to the ER with a room full of people! Oh great we are going to have to wait forever!! I went and signed in and told the triage nurse what the problem was and said maybe I was overreacting since we had talked to three people and have been told three different things (pharmacist, Poison control, and doctors office). She assured me I was not overreacting and took us right back! Then I was really nervous since we went in front of the whole rest of the waiting people!! Then I became even more nervous because a nurse and the doctor followed us into the room! I of course had to tell him the whole story and I am sure he was think he needed to call family services because I was so neglectful!! He said we needed to do a whole bunch of tests and she had to drink this HUGE glass of charcoal before we left! So in walks the EKG girl, Rya does great, In walks the blood work girl, Rya does GREAT (not even a whimper!!), so I am thinking, oh this isn't so bad... WRONG!!! Next they tell me they have to monitor her heart for 2 hours. Please people!! 20 month old crazy girl is not going to keep her leads on and the little thing on her toe and lay very still on the bed for 2 hours!! It lasted about 30 seconds and then the screaming tantrum throwing began and pretty much didn't stop the rest of the time we were there (about 3 more hours!!) So much for prized patient!! Next came the charcoal!! It looks like a glass of black paint... yummy! They had us strip her down since it stains everything and had her drink it. It took her the whole three hours and a lot of crying and me bribing to finally get her to drink it!
Long (VERY LONG) story short, She is fine now. I have to watch her for two weeks though because the pills take that long to go into full effect, I have to take her into her doctor and back to the ER if she starts losing hair, losing weight, sweating out of control, of has a high fever or seizure!! None of those sounds real great! Let's hope she is okay!!

I obviously didn't have my camera with me, although I wish I did, but this is the picture we took while she was asleep when we got home. The black is the charcoal and her little body was COVERED in it! It was so fun to get off in the tub! The poor girl was at the ER from 12:00 to about 3:00 so she missed her lunch (and they didn't want her to eat!!) and her nap! She was exhausted, and so was I, when we got home!! I am sooooo glad Nicolle was there with me to help tame the wild girl since Lance was at school taking a test and had no idea and of this was going on!! He got home and came to the ER for the last half hour or so! And again, I am so grateful jackie took Elliott for me! It would have been even worse having both girls there!! I am so glad Rya is okay! I was pretty worried and very panicky!!

Moral of the story: I am a horrible mother and should NOT trust the child proof lids!! (for the record though, I don't think it was put back on tightly, there is no way she could have opened them that quickly if it had been!!)

Also, I am not so sure I completely trust poison control... give her a drink of water?!!!

15 comments:

Pitcher family said...

Oh my gosh that is so sad! But I was still laughing during my reading...sorry it was kinda funny. I hope she is doing better and nothing else happens. We Love you Rya...you naughty little stinker!

The Small Bevell Bunch said...

I'm glad that Rya is ok, I hope she doesn't have any other symptoms! You are not a bad mom, seriously if the lid was put on right I don't think any of this would have happend, it could have happend to anyone! I'm glad that you trusted your instint and took her to the ER even though 3 people told you not to! She seemed herself last night!

Megs said...

Holy Crap Lacey!!! Yikes! Poor Rya, and poor Mama!!! You are NOT a bad Mother, don't even say that! There is a reason they call them 'child-proof', I certainly think you should complain to that pharmacy about not putting the lid on tightly...so stupid on thier part! And about what the poison control and instacare told you...
WHAT THE????????????????? To quote my Emily "I can't believe they gave her that advice!" See, even a 6-yr old knows better! A HUGE complaint would be on the way to that instacare...I don't usually like confrontation but with my kids? WATCH OUT!
You totally ROCK Super-Mom, I love that you trusted your instincts- YAY YOU!!!!! Was Lance as angry as Josh would have been with the crappy advice? *shudder* that would have been IT if Lance had been there too, I bet! :D
I am SOOOOO glad that Little Miss Mischief is feeling OK, SO scary- but you handled it so GREAT I think! Hang in there!!! ;)
(sorry, longest comment EVER!)

Chelsey said...

Oh my gosh Lace! Only Rya would do that, that little stinker! I hope everything is OK and some of that chub will just absorb all the extra stuff she took...good luck! Oh and you are not a bad mother at all, that is something that could happen to anyone...you are the best mom ever!

Brad and Jen said...

OH MY GOSH!!! That is so sad, but thank goodness that she is ok.

ashley said...

OH Lacey!!! What a nightmare! She really is a "little pill" (Pun intended-bawhaha). She really does keep you on your toes. I agree with everyone else-you are NOT a bad mommy. I most definitely think it was the pharmacist fault for not putting on the cap right. I think they need to be notified. That should NEVER happen. Way to trust those mommy instincts.
Oh and BTW glad you had fun in Utah. Too bad you never called me. j/k. I'm not mad. I know you can't see everyone when you come up. Maybe next time. Or when we come to Vegas in the fall.

Bryce and Janica said...

Maybe you should have thought to just give her a glass of paint to flush it down, duhhhhh Lacey. Don't beat yourself up, I'm just glad everything is ok, that was so scary I'm sure. But if you were a really bad parent, you wouldn't have noticed the pills being gone at all, so good job mom!

Grand Pooba said...

Oh my gosh! I would totally freak out too, even if it was just my dog! I can't imagine what you were going through!

I just started getting my perscriptions at Target too and was thinking the other day that their bottles were not baby proof at all. So I agree, their bottles suck, whether is was shut all the way or not I think any kid could open those things!

Few, I am so glad she's okay! You are not a bad mother, it could happen to anybody, for real!

Melissa said...

That is way scary! Kids are such stinkers, always doing something to freak us out or make us mad! Godd thing they are so cute. You are not a horrible mother! You are an amazing mom!!!

ashley said...

Sweet. I'm really glad I got your message... just now! I guess my phone is ridiculously stupid and it randomly sends messages to my email or to Ben's work phone or on the phone it's self and then sometimes on the actual answering machine. OK, I guess it's not random, I just can't figure out what makes it go to any one of the 4 different places it sends messages to. Yours went to my email and you know me and emails. I only check them once every blue moon. So sorry I missed ya. What a bummer. Glad you got to see Suzanne and Tonya though. Thanks for trying to call anyways!

Chad and Linds said...

I can't believe that!!! I thought things like that only happened to me!!! HA HA I'm glad she is OK. We miss you guys and I hope we get to see you soon!!!

Love you all!!

St. Jeor Family said...

I am so sorry!! I can't imagine going threw that. I am so glad that she is ok. Your not a bad mom you just have a very active little girl that gets into everything. There are just times that you just can't change what happens. They are really quick and sneeky!

Stevenson Family said...

Holy Cow! Poor baby and poor you. You're not a neglectful mother. Heaven knows we've all had experiences like this! Glad she's okay.

Jana said...

I wouldn't wish that on my enemy! I am so glad you went to the ER, and I am shocked about Poison Control messing that one up so badly!

you are a GREAT mother, who did everything she could when her child did what all children do...investigate.

Jennifer Lee said...

That is so crazy! Sorry that you had to go through that. Kylie drank too much cough syrup one day and it was a nightmare. I can't imagine her taking that many of any of my medications.

As a side note, your daughter must be really strong...I have a hard time with my bottles at times.