CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Pick your battles...

Elliott sitting at the table....45 minutes after I have cleaned up the kitchen!
Okay moms I need some advice!! I have reached the point of ultimate frustration! Elliott has been a picky eater since day one so I am pretty used to it, however, lately it is driving me crazy!!! She has always been such a little grazer, she doesn't eat much at her meals but then she snacks all day! That is fine, it is probably better for her anyway as long as she is eating healthy things, which she doesn't always. Anyway, lately she won't touch her dinner and then she will get down from the table and before I can even finish my meal she is asking for a snack! AHHH! I have tried several different things to try to get her to eat but nothing is working. I have tried telling her if she doesn't eat she can't have anything the rest of the night, then all she does is cry all night that she is starving and I can hear her poor little belly growling. I have tried telling her she can't get down from the table until she eats but she literally sits there all night and still doesn't eat anything. I could go on but suffice it to say that NOTHING is working and I am completely frustrated with it! I am not trying to make her eat all her food, I just want her to eat until she is full enough not to need a snack for the next hour or so. I have heard of kids developing all these crazy relationships with food when they are young and I just don't want that to happen! So all you wonder moms out there I need you advice! Please let me know if you have any little tricks up your sleeves! Maybe I am just overreacting and this is normal.

5 comments:

Debbie and Lane said...

I'm not a mom yet, but have very good friend with a little one who is just like Elliot. She asked her pediatician about it he said...let him skip a meal if he wont and and don't give in on snacks. Wait until the next meal. It's worked okay for her so far.

He said only let them skip one meal a day though. :) Good luck honey I'm sure it will get better!!!

Amy said...

Yeah, good luck with that. I think Debbie had good advice. Although we haven't reached that point yet with Sebastian, I wouldn't doubt if he was the same way in a couple of years.

Dennem and Piper said...

Hey you two!!! How in the heck are you? I found your blog through Kim and Jesse's. I was so excited to see you and your darling little girls!! They look just like you guys!! I love it!! (Oh and I love their names too! So cute!) Wish I could help on the whole not eating issue.. I have a 1 year old and pretty much have no clue what I'm doing!! LOL!! So, far so good though!! Dennem has cousins in Vegas, so next time we're there will have to give you a call! In the mean time, keep in touch! My email is piperwolfley@yahoo.com or come visit our blog! Don't expect a whole lot though! This is me after all, so I kinda stink at updating!! Take care! Piper

blair and maisy said...

Let me know if you figure that out, because Xander does that sometimes too. I've always thought it would be smart to keep his dinner in the fridge, and then make him take 2 or 3 bites before each snack that he wants at night.

Lorena said...

I don't know you, Lacey, but I went to school with Lance and Piper just sent me your blog address. I have a daughter who is almost six (next month) and we had this identical problem! I called my mom all of the time so frustrated. I muddled through it for a couple of YEARS (giving her yogurt or cheese & crackers or whatever she wanted while we ate a normal meal) and now she is old enough that she eats most things that I tell her she has to eat. I think it's a maturity thing. Also, one doctor gave me advice and said that kids' taste buds aren't as advanced as ours, so when we serve them up a burrito or a casserole (or anything that has a whole bunch of stuff mixed in it), it overwhelms their taste buds. Since then, I started reserving a piece of meat (chicken, steak, whatever) for the kids and cook it with salt only (as opposed to our delicious marinades) and they love it. Good luck, and if you unlock the secret, you'll make a million bucks overnight. I'd be your first customer.

PS: Nice to cyber-meet you!